Math ed professor accepted into AMTE STaR program

A new College of Education faculty member, Amber Brown, was recently accepted into the Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators’ 2024 Service, Teaching, & Research (STaR) in Mathematics Education program.

Brown is a clinical assistant professor of mathematics education in the College’s Department of Curriculum and Instruction. AMTE is the leading professional organization for mathematics teacher educators in the U.S. and the STaR program exists to support early career professionals.

“I will be able to network and collaborate with top scholars in my field, and as a result, I will build relationships that may lead to future projects and collaborations,” Brown said about the program. “I will also develop my own leadership skills, better understand national service opportunities, and enhance my teaching and planning abilities for mathematics education courses.” 

Brown will join a cohort of 20 mathematics education scholars from around the country, along with a planning and mentor committee of scholars in the same field, at a summer institute in Park City, UT, June 22-26. 

“One of the foci of the institute is developing my research agenda through writing,” explained Brown. “I will collaborate with colleagues to workshop and receive feedback on a manuscript to be submitted to the Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, a joint publication with AMTE and the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, by the end of the calendar year.” 

Colleague Signe Kastberg emphasized the value of being selected to the STaR program. “It is an indicator that a selected scholar is among the top early career mathematics teacher educators in the United States,” Kastberg said. “The STaR program’s opportunities and contacts will enable Dr. Brown to continue to develop her scholarship, pedagogy and service.”

Brown has a passion for improving mathematics education and mathematics teacher education at elementary and early childhood levels. She is interested in building teacher candidates’ and in-service teachers’ ability to transfer their passion and knowledge to students in meaningful ways.

“We are pleased and proud to support Professor Brown’s inclusion in this distinguished program for mathematics educators, said Janet Alsup, department head of curriculum and instruction. “Professor Brown is a strong addition to our department, and the AMTE STaR program will provide her with a wide professional cohort for future collaboration and mentorship.”

Source: Amber Brown, brow2466@purdue.edu