Out-of-State Licensure

Undergraduate Students, Graduate Students, and Current Educators

Obtaining a License in Another State

The State of Indiana has a compact agreement with most states. That means that if you hold a valid Indiana license, it should be relatively easy to obtain a license in most states. Other states may have different requirements than Indiana with regards to coursework, testing or GPA.

To obtain information for out-of-state licensing, please contact the Department of Education within the state you are seeking licensure. Please visit the United States Department of Education website and select the particular state of interest for license requirements and application procedures.

For current information regarding out-of-state licensing, please visit the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) website.

How do I apply for a license in another state?

As part of the license application process, most out-of-state licensing agencies require candidates to submit one or more form(s) or a letter verifying out-of-state program completion. These forms and requests for letters are to be sent to the Office of Teacher Education and Licensure for completion by a licensing advisor. If you are requesting a letter, please provide the licensing contact person’s name, the name of the licensing agency, full mailing and email addresses, and telephone and fax numbers.

Have Questions?

General licensure inquiries and questions can be sent to licensure@purdue.edu.