Steven C. Beering Hall of Liberal Arts and Education 100 N. University Street West Lafayette, Indiana 47907-2098 BRNG 3160work
Work Phone: (765) 494-7252work
Work Email: email@example.comINTERNET
Associate Director of the Gifted Education Research and Resource Institute (GER2I), Clinical Associate Professor, & High-ability Certificate/Licensure Advisor
Gifted, Creative and TalentedEducational Studies
I enjoy teaching undergraduate and graduate level educational psychology courses and conducting research in gifted education. I also supervise youth enrichment programs year-round as Associate Director of Purdue’s Gifted Education Research and Resource Institute.
- Ph.D. — Education/Gifted, Creative and Talented Studies, Purdue University
- M.S. — Education/School Counseling, Purdue University
- B.A. — English/Education, Purdue University
- 2022 – Present
Clinical Associate Professor, Associate Director of GERI, GCT Certificate Adviser
- 2017 – 2022
Clinical Assistant Professor, Associate Director of GERI, GCT Certificate Adviser
- 2016 – 2017
Clinical Assistant Faculty, Associate Director of GERI, GCT Certificate Adviser
- 2014 – 2016
GERI Summer Residential Programs, Purdue University
- 2013 – 2016
Graduate Teaching Assistant
- 1987 – 2013
K-12 Teacher & Guidance Counselor/Director
- National Association for Gifted Children Doctoral Student Award (2017)
- Dean’s Doctoral Student Scholarship (2016-17)
- John Feldhusen Doctoral Student Fellowship (2016-17)
- Cecelia Zissis Graduate Student Scholarship (2016-17)
- Recipient of the Indian Trails Career Cooperative School Counselor of the Year Award (2010)
- Recipient of the American School Counselor Association’s Recognized ASCA Model Program (RAMP) Award for Carroll Consolidated School Corporation’s K-12 school counseling program (2007)
- Recipient of Indiana’s Gold Star School Counseling Award for Carroll Consolidated School Corporation’s K-12 school counseling program (2006)
- Recipient of the Indiana Middle Level Education Association’s Regional School Counselor of the Year Award (1996)
Professional development in gifted education. The use of gifted pedagogy to improve teacher preparation. Talent development in under-served populations, including students in rural areas. Leadership development. Guidance and counseling gifted students, including career development.
- Gentry, M. & Seward, K. (2022). Gifted students from low socioeconomic backgrounds. In J. Roberts, & T. Inman, Introduction to Gifted Children (2nd ed.) Waco, TX: Prufrock Press.
- Lee, H., Seward, K., & Gentry, M. (2022). Equitable identification of underrepresented gifted students: The relationship between students? academic achievement and a teacher-rating scale. Journal of Advanced Academics, 1-33. https://doi.org/10.1177/1932202X221088816
- Seward, K., & Gentry, M. (2022). Protocols for identification: Increasing equity for underrepresented groups. In J. Nyberg & J. Mazone (Eds.). Creating equitable services for the gifted: Protocols for identification, implementation, and evaluation. IGI Global. http://www.doi.org/10.4018/978-1-7998-8153-7.ch001
- Seward, K., & Gaesser, A. H. (2018). Career decision making with gifted rural students: Considerations for school counselors and teachers. Gifted Child Today, 41(4), 217-225. doi:10.1177/1076217518786986
- Paul, K. A. & Seward, K. (2016). Place-based investment model of talent development: A proposed model for developing and reinvesting talents within the community. Journal of Advanced Academics, 27(4), 311-342. doi: 10.1177/1932202X16669546>
- Pereira, N., Jen, E., Seward, K., Tay, J. (2016). University-based programs for gifted students. In F. Piske, T. Stoltz, S. Bahia, & J. Machado, Altas habilidades/superdotação (AH/SD) e criatividade: Identificação e atendimento [High ability/giftedness and creativity: Identification and programming. Curitiba, PR: Juruá Editora.
- Seward, K. & Gentry, M. (2015). Grouping and instructional management strategies for rural gifted students. In T. Stambaugh & S. M. Wood (Eds.). Serving gifted students in rural settings (pp. 111-135). Waco, TX: Prufrock Press.
- EDPS 54000 — Gifted, Creative, and Talented Children
- EDPS 54200 — Curriculum and Program Planning in Gifted Education
- EDPS 54500 — Social and Affective Development of Gifted Children
- EDPS 69500 — Practicum in Gifted Education